In order to promote continued growth in the sector, the industry must overcome a number of significant hurdles, including:
- greater consideration from state and federal governments regarding the role of private investment or ownership of public assets
- government recognition and acceptance of investors’ increasing hesitance to disproportionately bear all the risk in large infrastructure projects
- greater flexibility in industrial relations, to help the private sector achieve efficiency and productivity gains
- a simpler bidding process, and reduced bid costs, for greenfield projects.
Questions that should be asked
With these issues in mind, participants should consider the following questions:
- What is an effective funding model for these projects?
- Is there sufficient industry knowledge to support the development of greenfield projects from concept to completion?
- Are operational assets being appropriately managed?
- What are the most appropriate mechanisms to further encourage institutional investment in infrastructure assets?
Our dedicated senior team brings a detailed understanding of all aspects of the infrastructure and public-private partnership (PPP) sector, including:
- an in-depth understanding of issues affecting debt, equity and state governments in relation to privatisations, procurement and/or bidding for greenfield assets
- significant expertise in working with debt and equity parties to optimise capital structures
- operational and asset management capabilities
- project procurement and financial modelling
- asset evaluation for transactions (on the ‘buy’ and ‘sell’ sides)
- advising on and mitigating contractual disputes
- refinancing of infrastructure assets, and devising smarter ways to fund projects.
As leading independent advisers, free of conflicts, we bring:
- deep relationships with financiers, governments and investors, both in Australia and overseas
- a reputation for identifying and developing non-traditional approaches to maximise outcomes for our clients and stakeholders
- comprehensive execution capabilities to handle all aspects of the proposed advisory engagement.